That, my friends… is what snowflake cookies bring me… joy. Let me type that again, I didn't mean to say joy… I meant to say JOY!!! Ever since I was a wee tot, snowflake cookies have been one of my favorite things about Christmas. I can't wait until my Mom makes them, and I can hardly keep myself from eating the ENTIRE batch in one day. She uses a cookie press that was my Dad's Grandmothers (Great-Grandma Susie) and a recipe that is in a little book that looks like it should be in the Smithsonian. Here's a first for the daily blabber blog… a recipe!
Preheat oven 350*
1 cup shortening
1 3-oz package of cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated orange rind (you can get it in the spice section of the Grocery)
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1. Cream shortening, cream cheese and sugar well.
2. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and grated orange rind.
3. Slowly blend in flour, salt and cinnamon which have been sifted together.
4. Fill press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes, remove cookies to cooling racks.
6. Dust with powdered sugar (the best part… yum!)
Sorry for the cruddy photo quality. I was too lazy to get out my camera. Got to love the iMac.