In 2008 Bridgette was referred to me by a friend. She had a three month old son, and maybe the sweetest little toddler you’ve ever met. Five years, six family sessions, a new baby, and two bridemaid dresses later (I shot both of her sisters’ weddings) she is now one of my dearest friends. That’s why I love my job. If people hire me for the right reasons, you can’t help but let me get to know you a little. Over the years… all those “littles” add up. I often get asked why I still travel to shoot. Let me give you five years worth of reasons right here.
Thanks for allowing me to really know your family Bridgette.
I look forward to our new adventures in 2014…
Happy Thanksgiving friends! Today I am thankful for unseasonably warm winter days, to die for light, and repeat clients with KILLER style.
Caroline is in the FIRST GRADE???? How is that possible????
I have had the privilege of photographing Caroline every year of her life. It is SUCH a treasure to have clients that trust you whole hearty. It is like a day at Disney World (minus long lines and mickey ears) when I show up at the shoot and the Mom says “she’s all yours… make the magic happen”. That’s exactly how it goes down at each of Caroline’s shoots in nearly those exact words. These are all shot in their yard and for the majority of them it was just she and I. We walked around and talked about soccer, gymnastics, school, how she better not have a boyfriend, and what her favorite TV shows are. I did impersonations of her YaYa (I know her Grandma) and shook my booty when necessary to get a laugh. I know my job sounds SUPER hard, huh? Talk with a 6 year old, act like an idiot, make her laugh, and then get paid. It’s rough, but someone has to do it.
And for fear of ruining their Christmas card surprise… just a couple of the family… manly dog included
Seven hundred ninety six.
That’s how many days it’s been since I blogged.
That doesn’t even seem possible as I type it. I spent five years blogging at minimum three times a week. I slowly built a blog following and from that (and word of mouth) I built my business. To think that I POURED my heart out here through images and words and then left it dormant for over two years is crazy. Here is what I can credit this lonnnnggg blogging hiatus to.
1. Facebook. I’m sad to admit that the ease and speed of Facebook has officially sucked me in. Post one photo from a wedding and BAM!! three hundred people just saw it? Ummmm… yes. Sign me up please. No time to blog???? No worries… all my blog readers are on Facebook anyway.
2. Growing Dirtbags. The past two years have been filled with running kids to and from school, practice, programs, birthday parties… doing homework, learning to use the potty, cleaning up messes, and MAYBE teaching them a thing or two here and there.
3. Running a business. Whoa… Do I struggle with this one. Show up on time, take your photos, pour my heart and soul in to capturing every single drop of love I witness that day? That’s what I’m good at. Book Keeping, webpages, and paperwork???? Not my strong points. The late night hours sitting in front of the computer after the Dirtbags go to bed leave me with an “empty tank” when the thought of blogging tries to sneak in my head.
4. Service. As in serving others out of love. Loving others as Christ loves me. Planting seeds that make my heart FULL and doing things that REALLY MATTER. I have always known what was truly important… but seeking out to LIVE what is truly important is now my number one priority.
4. OVER COMMITMENT. (please refer to numbers 2-4)
It breaks my heart to think I don’t have a written record of the past two years like I do from the five before. With all that being said…
Maybe not everyday, maybe not even every other day… but with balance and perspective…. I’m back.